4 cups sugar for firm fudge, or 3 cups sugar and 1 cup Splenda for softer fudge
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
1-1/2 cups (12 ounce can) evaporated milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chocolate chips (Hershey’s Special Dark or Semi-Sweet)
1 7-ounce milk chocolate candy bar, broken into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla
optional – 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped*
- Line a 9-inch square pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges.
- In heavy 4-quart saucepan, stir together sugar/Splenda, marshmallow creme, evaporated milk, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full, rolling boil. Boil, stirring constantly, for 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately add chocolate chips and candy pieces, stirring until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla (and almonds, if desired).
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool until firm. Use foil to lift fudge from pan. Peel off foil. Cut fudge into 1-inch squares. Store in tightly covered container. Makes about 5 dozen pieces or 4 pounds.
Note: for best results, do not double this recipe.
* To toast the almonds, heat oven to 350F. Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking dish. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool.