3-1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 (15-ounce) can Libby’s Solid Pack Pumpkin
1 large baking apple (such as Granny Smith), peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup dark molasses
powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 2 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the pumpkin, apple and molasses.
- At a low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture, just until well blended.
- Spoon batter into a well-greased and floured pan:
— for a 12-cup fluted tube (bundt pan), bake about one hour
— for a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, bake about 45 minutes
— for the snowman pan, bake about 45 minutes. (However, the head will get done well before the belly. Because this is a very moist cake, the drier sections still taste okay, but a bundt pan will probably give more consistent results.)
— for two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, bake about 35 minutes.
Regardless of time, the cake is done when a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes; then remove from pan.
If desired, dust with powdered sugar. Good served warm.