1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and the peanut butter together in a stand mixer, with a hand mixer, or a wooden spoon. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. Then add to the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Stir in the chips, and turn the dough out onto a piece of waxed paper. Gently pull the dough together and form it into a log. If it is still crumbly, work it with your hands until it holds together smoothly. Roll it up in the paper, smoothing the shape as you go. Twist the ends securely and refrigerate for two or more hours.
- Slice the log into slices about 1/3 inch. If a slice crumbles a bit, just smoosh the dough back together. These don’t have to be perfect disks.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 12-14 minutes. The cookies
will not be browned, and they may look undone, but don’t over bake. One of the joys of
shortbread cookies is that they fall apart and melt in your mouth.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack.