2 cups whole milk
1 cup half-and-half
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix milk and cream in saucepan and heat until the mixture steams but does not boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Place eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla in a bowl and mix well.
- Slowly pour the cooled milk-cream mixture into the bowl of eggs and sugar and mix well.
- Fill 4 to 6 single-serving baking dishes 3/4 full.
- Set dishes in a baking pan and put in the oven.
- Pour hot water into the baking pan (do not let water get into the custard dishes). The water level should be even with the custard. (This helps the custard to bak evenly and have a smooth texture.)
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the custard comes out clean.
Can be served warm or cool.
Store in the refrigerator.