1 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (do not use ground ginger)
1 cup light (reduced sodium) soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 cup water
2 tablespoons rice wine (or other dry white wine)
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 pound flank steak, sliced thin across the grain* and cut in 1″x3″ strips
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
*You can substitute chuck steak, as long as it is sliced very thin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Pour into the Instant Pot.
- Put sliced beef in a large ziplock bag, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and shake well to coat the beef evenly.
- Put the olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet and heat on medium high to high heat. Once the oil is hot, brown half of the beef. Remove and put in Instant Pot. Brown the other half and then put it in the Instant Pot.
- Stir beef and sauce until all the beef is well coated.
- Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes. After the 8 minutes, allow the Instant Pot to sit at 10 minutes for a Natural Release of pressure. Then open the lid.
- Make the cornstarch slurry: in a small bowl, mix cornstarch with water until fully combined. Turn the Instant Pot on the Sauté function, and add the slurry to the pot. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes on Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
Total prep and cooking time is 40 to 50 minutes. Good with sticky rice or vermicelli.