1 pounds flank steak, sliced thin across the grain* and cut in 1″x3″ strips
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 to 2/3 cup brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 cup light (reduced sodium) soy sauce
1 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon rice wine (or other dry white wine)
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
*You can substitute chuck steak, as long as it is sliced very thin.
- Heat up your pressure cooker: press Sauté -> click on the Adjust button -> select More to get the Sauté More function (medium-high heat). Wait for the Instant Pot indicator to read HOT.
- Add sliced beef to a large ziplock bag, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and shake well to coat the beef evenly.
- Add the olive oil to the hot Instant Pot. Once the oil is hot, brown the beef in batches. (If you add too much at once, it won’t brown well.) Sauté each batch for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times. Remove and set aside browned beef. Add another batch until all is browned.
- Deglaze the pot: add 1/2 cup water and let it get very hot. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot until the sticky beef residue is gone. Discard the liquid and rinse the Instant Pot.
- Add back all the beef and mix in the rest of the ingredients to the pot: garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, water, rice wine, sesame oil, and red pepper.
- Stir well until all the ingredients are combined and coated in sauce.
- Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes + 10 minutes Natural Release. Turn off the heat. Release the remaining pressure after the 10 mins NPR. Open the lid.
- Make the cornstarch slurry: in a small bowl, mix cornstarch with water until fully combined. With the Instant Pot on the Sauté function, add the slurry to the pot. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes on Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
Total prep and cooking time is about 30 minutes. Good with sticky rice.