2 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound mushrooms, washed and sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1/3 cup flour
1 and a half cans of chicken broth (21 ounces broth, total)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese
3-1/2 cups of cooked vermicelli (about 8 ounces of uncooked pasta)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 3/4 pounds)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease one 8-inch square baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot. Add onion, celery, pepper, salt and mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add white wine and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour into the chicken broth, then gradually add to the stockpot of celery & onion. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and all the cream cheese. Stir with a whisk until the cream cheese has melted.
- Stir in cooked pasta and chicken.
- Spoon into baking dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs with remaining Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.