1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon espresso powder
½ cup milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup boiling water
8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), softened
2½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
2-3 tablespoons half-and-half
¼ teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325º F.
2. Place 12 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
3. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl. Whisk through to combine.
4. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter. The cake batter is thinner than most, but results in a very tender and moist cupcake.
5. Evenly distribute cake batter. Each cupcake liner should be about ¾ths full.
6. Place in the oven and bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
1. Cream together butter and ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar at a time. After each cup of sugar has been added, add vanilla and then beat on high for about 20 seconds to lighten the frosting.
2. Add half-and-half, one tablespoon at a time until the buttercream has reached a consistency where it will hold its shape.
3. Frost the cooled cupcakes.
Makes 12 cupcakes.